Tuesday, December 10, 2024

"3-6-10" Improvisational Exercise

    This exercise illustrates the important role that the major/minor 3rd interval can play in your improvisations. I'm calling this exercise the 3-6-10 exercise. The "3" represents a (major/minor) 3rd. The "6" represents a 6th, which is merely an inverted 3rd. The "10" represents a 10th, which is merely a 3rd with an octave inserted between the interval. So what we're basically doing in this exercise is playing with variations of the 3rd.

    So much can be improvised with these intervals alone that I think this exercise might be a great starting point for those who either want to start improvising and don't know where to start, or for those who know how to improvise and simply want to revisit the basics for a little fun.

    How does it work? Well, everything you improvise should be an interval that's either a 3rd, a 6th, or a 10th (major or minor). Ignore every other interval. I demonstrate what I mean in the companion video below. Even though the sheet music for my improvisation is attached below, I recommend coming-up with your own improvisation so that you can build-up your own improvisational arsenal. So have fun exploring these intervals and see what you can produce!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment